- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 11:04:20
We know a lot of you have been waiting a while for this, but we've been working hard and it's finally here: the Warlight AI Challenge 2!
The competition is still in Beta, as we will have to fine tune some of the settings and possibly get rid of some bugs (if you find one, please let us know). But otherwise, it's fully functional. Here's a quick overview of the changes we've made compared to the original Warlight AI Challenge:
- First of all you can see we gave this competition a fresh new look, a little bit more in tune with the site's recent visual update.
- The luck factor has been changed to 16%, meaning that the outcome of your attacks are a lot more predictable, but there still is a little bit of a random factor.
- The way starting regions are distributed has been changed. Now one random region is selected from each super region and bots are asked in turn which of those regions they would like to start on.
- We've added wastelands: neutral regions with more than 2 armies on them (currently 10 armies).
- And last but certainly not least: Random maps! From now on, no two maps will ever look the same again. The days of hard coding your strategies are over my friends ;). Please let us know which maps you really like, or dislike (and why), as the map generator must be fine tuned in the next couple of weeks.
We are very happy with how this new competition has turned out and we hope you feel the same. Next event will be the Heads Up Omaha finals in January, so don't forget to keep improving that bot as well if you have one of course.
Have fun coding!
- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 15:51:38
Very intense maps now, completely the opposite of the old map.
- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 17:42:51
Nice! Could you please explain in more detail whiy picking of starting regions was changed? As I understand bot will be asked 2*X times for starting regions where X - count of picks. Or how?
- Updated Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 17:56:13
Also question about fullMap, would it contain count of armies for wastelands? EDIT. I see by code that no.. in fullMap all regions has 0 armies.
- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 17:59:07
The starting regions can be picked from is a list containing one random region from each super region. The engine gives them all to the bots in the order they pick them. If there is an uneven amount of regions, then the last region will remain neutral so both bots get an equal amount of starting regions.
For you second question, a list of wastelands is provided at the start of the game.
- Updated Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 18:11:32
Cool! Random maps are a nice challenge!
I notice that most regions have a lot of neighbours. I guess that's what Norman means with intense maps. It would be nice to have some variation in that as well.
I see that superregions with only two regions have no bonus at all. I think it's better to make superregions a bit bigger and give them all a bonus, else the 0-bonus superregions become dead areas in the game.
What is the variation in map sizes?
- Updated Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 18:18:17
From my test game: pickstartingregion 10000 2 6 12 16
Output from your bot: "6"
pickstartingregion 10000 12
Output from your bot: "12"
lol. so my bot knows where enemy had picked?! And able to make further picks using this information? I think its not acceptable for warlight game..
- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 18:25:58
Indeed player1 knows all the starting positions of player2 but player2 doesn't know the first starting position of player1, that's not fair.
- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 18:27:19
@AdsRiskbot Super regions with only 2 regions currently get either 1 or 0 bonus. But we're looking if it's necessary to maybe make the minimum size of a super region 3 regions. Currently not a lot of games have been played yet, so you can't really see much variation in the maps, but trust me, they are very varied.
@GreenTea It's the only way to do it if you want to pick in turn, but I think it allows for some much deeper strategies in picking the starting regions than we had before.
- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 18:27:49
@Thomash You are right about that, it will change
- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 18:58:24
"In queue for compilation" seems stuck.
- Updated Sunday, December 14th 2014 @ 00:47:00
My previous bot was built in such a way that it could solve any map, with any amount of bots before you even requested it. The additional information does not bother me anyway as it will finish on time regardless. I've just recently uploaded it, and it passed the initial test. Now I'm waiting it for entering the leaderboard.
Might add an updated version later with the new commands added.
Edit: There was in fact one thing that made my bot not work correctly, and that was the sudden change of how you pick a starting region. It still did great, but was not able to enter the competition for some odd reason. I'm investigating!
Edit2: Due to it not doing the pick of regions correctly, it had a chance to be ignored later on as it had too many timeouts. It's sad it happened, but a new version should be up soon.
- Created Friday, December 12th 2014 @ 22:18:10
I hope count of games will be increased.. At least one game per 30 minutes would be fine.
- Created Saturday, December 13th 2014 @ 00:42:37
I don't think the current rate of played games is intended ;)
- Created Sunday, December 14th 2014 @ 15:33:29
It might be a bit too late for that now, but when do you plan to add so you can play more than two bots on a single map? It shouldn't be that hard doing it, unless everyones bot somehow goes against it.